Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to get into Penetration testing?

From: Erin Carroll <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:20:40 +0000 (UTC)

It all depends on your level of experience. For someone who has been working actively in the security field for a while, the CEH may be a little basic. However, just because you know all about firewalls doesn't mean you shouldn't consider a course like the CEH to help round out your realm of knowledge.

For practical hands-on courses, the SANS classes are a good way to go.. but again YMMV depending on the course selection and your background. If you want to get into pen-testing, the GCIH is a good primer which covers some of the more well-known OSS security tools and their uses.

The CISSP (IMHO) is not as useful to people looking for practical experience since it tends to focus on security concepts, procedures, information assurance, and areas of security which don't always have direct relavence to pen-testing (eg. physical security... I have yet to get to break in or social enginer my way into a facility... but I'm hopeful :). However, the CISSP is required for most government security-type jobs and is a widely recognized certification.

-Erin