Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: In light of what has happened with the theft of the VA laptop, what are the "best practices" for securing laptops?

From: "Bryan S. Sampsel" <bsampsel () libertyactivist org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:33:42 -0600 (MDT)

Except that sensitive data such as this should NEVER be on a laptop or any
other computer resource that isn't physically secured as well as logically
secured.

Physical possession gives the possessor quite an advantage if he thinks
the payoff is worth his investment.

Sincerely,

Bryan S. Sampsel
LibertyActivist.org

Robertson, Seth (JSC-IM) wrote:
These steps basically work but if your theif has any data
recovery/forensics skills he may find 5 temporary versions of your "My
Documents" Word docs in other places of the drive (unencrypted) or
unencrypted versions of deleted spreadsheets, etc. (deleted files are
just deallocated but not wiped from the drive).  The reason for
full-disk encryption is to be sure that all free space, slack space,
swap space, database, and temp files are always encrypted so that no
matter how sophisticated the theif (or the person he sells the hard
drive to) your data is safe.

Seth Robertson