Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Tips

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:17:23 -0400

Turner Falls wrote:
Hello Everyone,

The most dreaded aspect of my job is coming up with a "Security Tip"
  for our company internal newsletter every week.  Each tip must be
 geared toward a general audience of 3000+ people. So far I have done
tips on strong passwords, doing control-alt-del when leaving your
desk, screensaver passwords, protect laptop from theft (ie don't
leave in back seat of car, amazing how many do that...), clean desk
policy, backing up data, and dealing with spam, spyware and phishing.
But I'm at my wit's end to come up with more. Googling 'security
tips' brings up a million sites, but they all regurgitate the same
basic ideas I just mentioned.
Any suggestions?

http://mail.yahoo.com

How about:

Avoiding the installation of software/hardware brought in from home.

Safe USB and other portable media usage (Palm/Smartphones etc)

Securing data (company or personal)

Social Engineering.

Email Hoxes and avoiding unnecessary propagation.

Inappropriate Email, potential consequences/liabilities

Strong password policies (avoiding sharing of passwords and all the rest
that falls under this)

If you like MS, here is a good link:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/rss/default.mspx  There is an
RSS feed available that provides basic security tips to home users.
Nice stuff there.

**MOST IMPORTANT** The "Speak Softly and Carry a Large Stick", or in my
case an aluminum baseball bat, policy and the effects of disobeying your
Systems Administrator!!!

Cheers!

JMB