Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: newbie: what does "sign the message digest" mean?

From: "Vinod Gadgoli" <vinod.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:39:32 +1000

Hi Ravi,
There are two kinds of cryptography
1. Symmetric Key - In which same key is used for both encryption and
decryption. this key is shared between the sender and the receiver.
The sender and receiver exchanges these keys in a secure manner as
acceptable to both the parties.

2. Asymmetric key cryptography
   it uses two keys, one is called public key and the other is called
private key.  Either one can be used for encryption/decryption, and
the other key is used for the reverse operation. for example, if u
encrypt a message using public key then it can be decryped using
private key (providing confidentiality)
if u encrypt using ur private key, u can only decrypt the message
using public key. In this case it provides authenticity to the
messange (No confidentiality, bcoz public keys are displayed publicly
on users home page etc.)
In short, signing means encrypting the message using ur private key.

HTH