Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Rights

From: Dereck Martin <dmartin () mixxerinc com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:24:41 -0400

At my company I do not grant admin or power user status at all. The most I will do in certian situations is great special permission to modify files within an application folder. (somtimes applications do not place nice with restricted users and require writing to a application folder). However, i do not grant group access instead it is on a user basis. Anything else, the user will have to suffer. Users must know that the computers are company/school property and we have the right to restrict access as much as we want regardless of their "needs". We secure the systems for the their protection and to keep ourselves sane from those who do not pay any attention what so ever on what they click.

Dereck Martin
Desktop Support

www.mixxer.com
                    _/
   _/_/_/  _/_/        _/    _/  _/    _/    _/_/    _/  _/_/
  _/    _/    _/  _/    _/_/      _/_/    _/_/_/_/  _/_/
 _/    _/    _/  _/  _/    _/  _/    _/  _/        _/
_/    _/    _/  _/  _/    _/  _/    _/    _/_/_/  _/

I Freecycle wrote:
Hello,

I'm wondering how others deal with allowing users rights on work computers.

At our school, users aren't normally given Administrator or Power User
rights unless it's absolutely necessary.&nbsp; Occasionally we
encounter employees and students that don't understand how easily a
system can be messed up and the security issues involved nor why we
feel it's necessary to operate like this.

I would like to know what others do, and what policies they have in
place to address these issues.

Thanks,

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus