Security Basics mailing list archives

Opinon of Fortinet Products

From: "KImberly F. Adams" <kfadams () cox net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:23:01 -0700

My organization is in the midst of a Network Security Solution RFP. One of the vendors that we are considering is
proposing the use of Fortinet products (Fortigate 5050).

I understand that Fortinet is taking the Swiss Army knife-like security appliances approach to network security,
however, one of the biggest drawbacks to these types of products is that they are a single point of failure in the
network architecture. Has anyone had experience with this line of products? What are the benefits and disadvantages to
using a Swiss Army knife-like security appliance?

Using Fortinet as a UTP (unified threat management device) makes you beholden to a single vendor; however, one
particular vendor that excels in a single service may not provide the best features in an overarching solution. Have
any of you found this to be an issue?

Is anyone familiar with JDL Technologies? Positive or negative experiences? Feel free to elaborate.

If you are currently using a UTP, in retrospect, would you have gone with a multi-device/application network security
solution or would you go with the UTP solution if you had to do it all over again?

If you would prefer to answer me off the board, feel free to do so.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide to me.

Kimberly F. Adams