Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remote Web Workplace security

From: "Dana Epp" <dana () vulscan com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:50:09 -0800

So apply two factor authentication to auth against the inbound
connection before prompted for the RWW login session. That's exactly
what we do.

We use Cryptocard tokens against a Sonicwall TZ170 in front of the SBS
machine. The firewall communicates with the authentication server on the
SBS box via RADIUS, authorizing RWW, Sharepoint and TS/RDP only after
authing the incoming user. Even if the incoming machine had hostile code
capturing the credentials it is USELESS to them in a follow up session
since the OTP (one time password) is dead. They can't even touch the
Active Directory as the firewall won't let them in.

RWW has other benefits over traditional VPN. First off, you aren't
providing a layer 3 connection to the network. Everything is proxied
through RWW. You have a PASSIVE connection to Outlook Web Access, and
require secondary auth to the corporate intranet, if you need it. And
you don't have to configure ANY software to use it. No VPN client setup
required at all.

RWW is one of the hidden golden gems Microsoft has... And its only
available in Small Business Server. For mobile users it is a much safer
connection than worrying about VPN issues.

Regards,
Dana Epp
[Microsoft Security MVP]
http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/