Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Signing before Encryption and Signing after Encryption

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:20:38 -0800

  Signing requires a private key -- therefore, it *must* be
Asymmetric.  Asymmetric is typically much slower than Symmetric,
so you get things like SSL that use Asymmetric to protect the
exchange of the Symmetric key used for actual payload encryption.

  Signing after encryption allows the signature to be verified
before/without decrypting the payload.  There are a variety of
circumstances in which that could be useful, which are blocked
if the signing is done first.  I can't think of any where the
opposite is true.

David Gillett, CISSP