Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Blocking ssl vpn connections

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:39:09 -0800

  You need an "SSL proxy" (as your firewall) to do this.
Essentially it's a *authorized* "main in the middle", decrypting
and examining the data stream.  At a minimum, it can verify that
this traffic using port 443 really is HTTPS.  Some can also filter
the stream for malware and illicit content as well.

  [Check out Blue Coat -- I think they have a White Paper up about
the things that their boxes can offer.]

David Gillett