Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Snort and ADSL

From: NiTRo <nitroml () ntd homelinux org>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:42:56 +0200

HI.
At home only for didactical pourpose I've built an ADSL sensor with snort:

Iternet <---> MODEM <---pppoe---> FW <---> lan etc.
                ^

but I have to say that the alerts reported are too may to be useful...
even because many of them are blocked by firewall's rules... so this alerts
are only garbage...
Too much information = no information
For snort play this could be an interesting solution, but if you have to
monitor a real network I think this is not the best one.

Alessandro.