Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Family protection - proxy?

From: Adi Kriegisch <adi () cg tuwien ac at>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:39:04 +0200

Hi!

I am looking for advice on how I can best protect my family from the
'horrors' on the Internet.
I think there is another point -- besides all the excellent technical hints
you already got: Did you consider that your home is a safe playground for
your kids where you have (at least) some control over what happens to them
and where you have a chance to work up what they saw/found/did in the
internet?
I think using such a filter will most probably work just fine -- but your kids
will go elsewhere and see/find/do whatever you want to hinder them to.
Probably it is the best solution to let them safely experience all sides of
the internet in a controlled and safe environment?

We have a small ADSL/wireless network at home (with a firewall and AV on
all systems) on which my kids have their PCs/Macs. My wife and I use it
via our laptops.

What is the best way of stopping access to porn/violence/etc.?
I would say: deal with it. I think the best filter ever is built into your
children and is not (and can never be) a technical solution...

best regards,
        Adi Kriegisch

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus