Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting data on fileserver

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng () wdc com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:53:58 -0700

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 11:58 -0500, Nick Vaernhoej wrote:
I have been asked to find solutions for encrypting the shares of the
company fileserver and I am not even sure this is possible.
Can I somehow encrypt the contents of a fileserver and then install a
client on the company workstations so that all this is invisible to the
end users?

I would think that this is a possibility. An example of this would be
using an application (cross platform) such as TrueCrypt.

eg: in the FAQ:
---
Q: Can I configure TrueCrypt to start, prompt me for password(s), and
mount my volume(s) automatically whenever Windows starts?