Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:46:29 -0700

I would recommend software, which will fully encrypt your harddisk drive. If
your laptop will be lost, you won't have to think about any data left...

* DriveCrypt (www.securstar.com)
* PGP Desktop 9.0 Professional
(http://www.pgp.com/products/desktop/professional/index.html)
* TrueCrypt, OpenSource (www.truecrypt.org)

Here is an artikle that discusses the benefits of drive encryption at
the hardware level, and using Linux kernel for providing temper-proof
boot-level authentication:
http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/p2820/30p20/30p20.asp
(watch for line-wrap)

And an accompanying chart listing various drive encryption tools:
http://www.processor.com/articles//P2820/30p20/30p20chart.pdf

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net