Security Basics mailing list archives

MS Audit logs

From: "Davie Elliott - Eluse" <delliott () eluse co uk>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:26:42 +0100

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie administrator, and I have a quick question about
Microsoft windows audit logs.

Right now I have ticked every audit option in the main GPO, so I get tons of
audit objects to trawl through every week.
I was reading somewhere that MS Audit logs cycle or something so after 24
hours I have lost some audit objects.
Also, I don't really know what I'm looking for in the audits logs anyway...
except for maybe checking if some users accounts have been used when they
shouldn't have.

Anyways, I was wondering what software would be good for managing the audit
logs?... I think I read a blog from an MS employee saying someone should use
3rd party software for managing the audit logs instead of the built-in
windows thing.

Thanks for your help,

Davie.