Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:17:09 +1000

Sorry Mike, I don't understand whether you're agreeing with me or
disagreeing with me here. Are you saying that I was suggesting that Herman
SHOULDN'T investigate? I wasn't saying that and I apologies if I wasn't
clear. I was saying that securing is as important as monitoring.

What does this mean?
It is reasons like yours that democracy exists.
As for being 'responsible' for someone who has tapped your connection there
have been cases which leant in both directions as to the legal outcome. I
don't have the link to the story but the Register did run a story about a
guy who was cleared of child pr0n charges as he
he had spyware on his machine. That downloaded some dialer I believe which
downloaded stuff he had no idea about. Forensics helped in this case.
Obviously if one could show that there had been some tapping then that would
count in one's favour if a charge did arise.
I don't actually remember telling Herman he couldn't check to see who it was
and even work out where he was if he had the right tools. I do remember
saying that he can't access the intruder's computer by law. As Craig pointed
out, two wrongs and all that. If someone breaks into my house I can't break
into their house for revenge or to find evidence.
I don't remember suggesting that he shouldn't 'cut him off' (the intruder).
In fact by suggesting WPA as a conf/authentication mechanism I think that
was exactly what I was doing.
Your suggestion about weakening the signal strength is a good start and no,
I don't think you're being paranoid.

Regards
Murad Talukdar