Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure installation of Windows XP?

From: Al Lilianstrom <al.lilianstrom () fnal gov>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 09:03:14 -0500

Thomas Jespersen wrote:
Hi,

I hear stories of how a new Windows XP system is infected within minutes. So I wonder, what is the procedure to install Windows XP in a safe way?

Do your install off the network. Use a CD that has sp2 and patches slipstreamed or after the install install sp2 and patches off a CD/thumbdrive. Enable the firewall (or install a third party product, install your av client and you're in decent shape.

Some might say that you're ok to connect to the net after the install if you turn on the sp2 firewall and then hit windows update. Me - I'm too paranoid for that.

        al

PS : In case there are any other Danes on the list, I posted a similar question on a Danish security newsgroup, but I got very conflicting responses, so I just want to know the opinion of this list.

--

Al Lilianstrom
CD/CSS/CSI