Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: network based spyware scanner

From: "Isaac Van Name" <ivanname () southerlandsleep com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:04:05 -0600

Actually, I have to disagree... Spybot doesn't seem to miss much.
Regardless, PC Magazine posted a review on Spybot that seems to tell you
exactly what you're getting:

Keep in mind that this review is rather dated... three years old, in fact.
I'm sure you can find more up-to-date information on Spybot if you look, but
I simply didn't have the time to fish.

As one of the member ratings stated, Spybot is best used with another
spyware program like Ad-Aware or HijackThis.  I personally run Spybot and
Ad-Aware at home behind a router with access lists, and I hardly ever get
anything.  However, on a company network, I wouldn't rely on free scanners.

Here, we use F-Secure.  Yes, you pay for licenses and, yes, it covers your
bases.  The nice thing about it is that you do have a management console to
centrally manage the client installs.  As this was one of your criteria,
you'd probably want to take a look at it.

If you're still looking for the free route, I found a site that lists some
good and bad applications and general precautions:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#trustworthy

(Bad apps are towards the top.)

Hope that helps.

Isaac Van Name
Systems Administrator

"What good would you do with an ignorant employee? Ignorance is grounds for
dismissal..." - Mario Spinthiras

Open Source developing at its finest:
"Written in vim, W3C valid and UTF-8 encoded, for her pleasure."

Disclaimer:  This email is intended only to be used to feign intellectual
mastery of a subject or superhuman command of the English language, when
profanity is involved.  By reading this email, you are agreeing to cease all
correspondence with the sender upon realizing your own ignorance, and
furthermore to refrain from taking legal action against said sender when
your compounding ignorance crushes your inadequate self-esteem.  Have a nice
day.

Original> -----Original Message-----
Original> From: listbounce () securityfocus com
[mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com]
Original> On Behalf Of Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)
Original> Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 7:52 AM
Original> To: Security basics
Original> Subject: Re: network based spyware scanner
Original>
Original> Utz, Ralph wrote:
Original> > Hey folks,
Original> >
Original> > I'm looking for a network scanner for spyware or maybe a
management
Original> > console for something like spybot.  The goal is centralized
management
Original> > of spyware ala antivirus.   Any suggestions?  How are you guys
handling
Original> > spyware?
Original>
Original> Spybot misses alot of stuff.
Original>
Original> Try superantispyware instead.
Original>
Original> To my knowledge it might offer what you are looking for.
Original>
Original> HTH
Original> Hylton
Original>
Original>
Original>
Original>
Original> EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
Original> The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Original> Excellence
Original> in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec
Original> management
Original> education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting
Original> experience.
Original> Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this
esteemed
Original> degree,
Original> without disrupting your career or home life.
Original>
Original> http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus
Original>