Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: One computer two different networks

From: Ed <security () kdtc net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:41:29 +0800

Security-wise, it would be more appropriate to separate the networks.
Finance-wise, it would be infeasible to supply two machines for each
employee. Perhaps install a small number of computers (less than
half the # of employees) can be supplied on a sharing-basis with
priority on business-related matters.

As for installing Virtual machines on company systems, I'm a little
hesitant in suggesting something like that.  The effort required by
the I.T. department to support this might be a little less optimal.
Since I know nothing about the OP's systems, I'm assuming everyone's
using a standard P4.  Even on my P4 1.8, having a VMWare system
running, slows down the system.  The only way this would work is
if the I.T. department created a standard Internet-Accessible
guest O/S (*Nix based, since I don't think you'd be legally
permitted to have x # of machines running the same Windows
guest) and then install a virtual machine player, i.e. VMWare
player.

Mind you, I do know that virtual machines are used in a
development environment; but it just adds another 'factor'
in maintaining a single system's integrity.

That's just my $0.02.