Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Changing the domain password policy

From: "Duncan McAlynn" <duncan () mcalynn com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:06:35 -0500

Gary,

The Domain Admin accounts should be the first to implement a strong
password/phrase.

The biggest issue you'll run into is the numerous service accounts that
exist and are not well-documented. There are a number of scripts available
on the Internet that will help you identify them. Basically, what you're
looking for is any service that is not using the "LocalSystem" account. Once
you've identified the applications, you can then target the appropriate
admins to update the accounts with a strong password.

Sample script:
http://blogs.brnets.com/michael/archive/2006/03/23/2515.aspx

I'd encourage you to use this opportunity to further the cause by also
implementing some documented means of maintaining these accounts and their
associated passwords.

In the past, I've seen the passwords for privileged accounts (i.e. Domain
Admins, Schema Admins, System Restore Accounts, SQL SA accounts, etc.)
changed to a strong password, documented in print, sealed in an envelope and
then stored in a safe/lockbox managed by someone outside of the chain of
report (i.e. Director of HR, VP Legal, etc.). This documentation can also
list dependent applications so that the full impact can be readily realized.

Lastly, if your domain admins are using the same account for managing the
domain that they use to check their email and browse the web, you may want
to address that issue as well. Have a separate account for administrative
purposes and use Run As to execute things requiring admin rights.

Good luck, Gary.

Duncan McAlynn, MVP/MCSE