Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:11:51 -0500

On 8/31/06, Isaac Van Name <ivanname () southerlandsleep com> wrote:

>> No, your subnetting (IP Addressing) scheme does that.

My turn to cater to the original poster.  True, a VLAN does not subnet IP
addresses because a broadcast domain doesn't, either.  However, in most
cases where a VLAN was used, I've seen it used just this way... to create
separate "subnets" on a switch.  To steal your phrase, "vlaned subnets".
Not truly a subnet, but rather a broadcast domain containing a single
subnet, in those cases.

Yeah, I guess, sorta. But I believe that you can run more than one
subnet on the same physical or logical network - by using different
IPs/Masks/GWs. Not sure why you would, but I understand that its
possible.

>>Collision domains are a physical layer issue, I *believe* and has
>>nothing to do with upper layer protocols (like VLANs).

Probably so, but I wouldn't know.  This falls back on my tendency to term a
switch as a single collision domain.  The point I was trying to raise is
that a VLAN doesn't function as a switch would, but rather as a router
would.  Of course, there is always a counterargument for this as a router
functions on a different layer than a VLAN, right?

Right, routers being layer 2 and switches being layer 2 or 3. VLANs on
layer 3 (again, pretty sure, I don't want to go to the map ;) ).