Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Hard disk Encryption

From: "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:13:12 -0700

Conventional Cryptography (AES, DES etc) does NOT provide
"Unconditional Security". With enough time and resources these cipher
can be cracked.

But the real threat is from using weak passwords and improper
management of recovery keys.

So look for a solution that locks out after certain number of
incorrect passwords.

Also a solution that requires you to maintain a backup of the
encryption keys may not be good enough. Look for one that uses key
escrow (e.g. Challenge/Response password recovery method etc).

saqib
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net