Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: Example Black Lists for Windows?

From: "Scott Ramsdell" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnet com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:19:57 -0400

Hello,

Group Policy doesn't do a real good job of preventing executables from
running.  The reason is that the GPO setting for this is user only,
there isn't a corresponding computer setting, so it will only stop
executables that launch as the AD user.  Many executables of course
configure themselves to launch as local system, or with another local
account.  AD will only stop AD accounts from launching exes.

You might want to explore your commercial options.

There's quite a bit included in Windows, but this little oversight
seemed to slip through.  (Maybe this has changed with an extension to
the adminpak.exe now that Vista is out, I'm not a Windows admin anymore
and can't check.)

Kind Regards,

Scott Ramsdell
CISSP, CCNA, MCSE