Security Basics mailing list archives

Disaster Encryption

From: jaxjunk1 () comcast net
Date: 24 Apr 2007 19:17:33 -0000

I work for a large company.  We just contracted with an off-site disaster recovery facility.  We have a DR Plan with
scripts to get us back up in case of a disaster.

My question is what is the best practice for giving them admin passwords.  We are a Unix, Windows, Mainframe, etc..
shop.  We also have blackberry's.

My thinking was to set up the following.

We have 8 individuals with authority to execute the DR Plan based on various levels of catastophe.  These individuals
work in various parts of our state.

These 8 individuals all have a Blackberry.  My thinking was to place a password on their blackberry in the Password
Keeper (or a better app).  When they call the DR Center they give them that password.

At the DR center we would have an encrypted "vault" on either a unix box or a Windows DC (we replicate their).  The DR
admin would be told the password to the "vault" during the execute process.  Inside the vault would be the user ids and
passwords necessary to implement the recovery process.

We'll make sure the ids and passwords have the bare minimum they need to bring us back to life.

Has anyone seen anything like this or have a better suggestion?