Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:55:13 +1000

Except that the **Very* few is NOT 50,100 or even 1000 - it is many many
times that. Unless you have cheanged the nature of the hypothesis as I
suspect that you have done in the response (ie limiting access
addresses)

Adding a false sense of security is not adding security. An insecure
system remains an insecure system. It is mathematically provable that
you have no real gain.

As for:
"Why do we hide missile launch sites?"
We don't. They are public. They are known.

"Why does the presidential motorcade not disclose which car the
president is actually in?"
To increase the attack time and scope. The tagrget is increased - having
3 cars reduces the risk to 1/3, having 4 cars makes a random target of
1/4 or 25% if a single car is hit (etc). The analogy is not the same
though. Scanning additional ports is not a linear probability function.
Adding an additional car is (or at least approximates to one)

You stated a potentially vulnerable service. Thus it remains so whether
you change the port or not. Next you are now seeming to add a condition
that the firewall is filtering IP addresses - a point that was not in
the original hypothesis. If so this is than a new case.

As for qualifications, several Gold GIAC, most of the other certs,
multiple IT related degrees at PG level, 20 years experience including
work in hostile environments (ie Australian Stock Exchange).

Your failure to understand a concept does not make it either true or
false. The scanning for IP services is possible - there is not a port
per se, but there is a system response.

I suggest that you learn a little more on risk and check the facts about
situations before stating them.

Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.