Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is traffic being sniffed?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 16 Aug 2007 16:05:25 -0000

You'll probably just have to call them and ask.

What sort of sniffing are you concerned about? Your IM messages being looked at? Monitoring for extreme bandwidth use?
Virus/bot monitoring? All of these can be done differently, and are very different in their effect on your traffic,
i.e. how much you should care.

If you think they are really tracking you by sniffing your web page calls, IMs, emails, the works, you might be able to
generate some traffic to a domain that you own pointed to a server whose logs you control. If they follow up on that
connection with their own connection, you should be able to see the log hits. This can be a web server or even just dns
server.*

I would expect most ISPs do analyze your traffic for statistics like usage, but don't really have the time or interest
in sniffing your actual data...unless you have given them reason to.

* An idea I first saw presented by Simple Nomad at Shmoocon.

<- snip ->
Does anyone have any suggestions on identifying whether traffic of a
network is being analysed by ISP or other upper-level link providers?