Security Basics mailing list archives

SSL VPN's from LAN to WAN

From: fac51 <fac51 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:08:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I would like some advice on a situation that is new to me.

I have just discovered that some contractors that are on our corporate LAN have managed to install (Half Install) VPN
Clients that allow them to connect directly back to their LAN (RDP'ing into their Desktops etc.) The desktops they are
using here are locked down but still allow some VPN functionality.

The VPN connects over 443 out of our network then to their Firewall as concentrator.

Implications that I can think of are;

1. All traffic to and from us is encrypted and therefore we cannot monitor.
2. They can see network drives and could be stealing info. (although they don't have much access)
3. Any infections at their site could propogate to us (that could happen anyway I suppose via email)

My first reaction is one of horror but am I over reacting?

If my worst fears are confirmed I will need to block them. To do this I was thinking of blocking all traffic to and
from their firewall however apparently some access to remote services is required by other staff.

Help!?!?

kind regards,

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs