Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tracing Threatening Email to an IP Address

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:24:57 -0800

You'll need your firewall logs, assuming they log access to web sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

On 1 Feb 2007 19:42:34 -0000, ka4731 () aol com <ka4731 () aol com> wrote:
My friend and I received a threatening email from an anonymous yahoo account.  We believe this may have come from one of my
friend's coworkers because the header information was traced back as far as the IP address of the Cisco Pix firewall within my
friend's company network.  All emails I receive from my friend have the IP address of his computer within his network.   Why is
it that the anonymous email header doesn't tie me to a computer or work station just like my friend but only shows the IP of the
firewall?