Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Changing the domain admin password.

From: "Scott Ramsdell" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnet com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:51:04 -0500

Gary,

You can look for authentication attempts on your domain controller to
see where the admin acct logs in.

Ideally, the admin acct wouldn't be used, rather you would have a
separate service acct for each service that needed rights.  That way you
could assign specific rights to each service (they likely don't need
domain admin rights, they likely only need local admin rights or
specific rights on a few select boxes).

However, I just wanted to throw out a reminder: changing the domain
admin password does not change the AD restore password.

Kind Regards,
Scott Ramsdell