Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Lab setup for security learning

From: Robert Larsen <robert () the-playground dk>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:58:34 +0100

Ankur Jindal wrote:

Hello all
Me and a couple of friends wish to set up a lab of our own for
learning network security. I'd like some suggestions about the setup
of the lab with respect to

a) The number of machines (We only have 3)

3 is fine, but you could increase this to any number using virtual
machines. Install VMWare (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmware), User
Mode Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User-mode_Linux) or XEN
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen).
That also makes it easy to test different setups and revert to earlier
snapshots (post install, post configuration, etc.).

b) Networking components (we have a 4 port switch and a 4-port hub)

A switch with a monitor port for sniffing could be useful...or that hub.
Depends on what you want to do. The hub sends out all packets to all
connected machines which makes it easy to sniff but if you want to play
with overflowing the arp tables in the switch that's what you'll need.
For playing with intrusion any will probably do just fine.

c) OS/Softwares (Win XP, Fedora Core 2, Backtrack (for all testing),
windows disassemblers etc.)

Depends on how skilled you are. If you are beginners start with an old
version of some Linux distribution or Windows version with known problems.
I like Backtrack for performing attacks and forensics...has nearly
everything you need.
Disassembling is (in my opinion) for advanced users only...or those who
want to be advanced :-)
IDA Pro is probably the best disassembler out there.

d) Setup architecture (both physical and software)

Go with a realistic setup.
Firewall with a couple of servers behind (web, database, dns, whatever).
The firewall will also be a great place to hook up a sniffer to see your
attacks. Maybe also a Snort machine.

Good luck