Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Suspicious network activity advice

From: davestout () hotmail com
Date: 4 Jan 2007 12:55:14 -0000

I'm pretty sure it's just NetBIOS refreshing it's name database. With you running a developer machine I'm suspecting
that your machine has inadvertantly become the NetBIOS master browser for your network. NetBIOS master browsers are
normally the same machine as the Domain Controllers, but in certain situations an error can occur when another machine
takes over as Master Browser after a browser election takes place. I had a similar problem when a Unix developer
machine became the NetBIOS master browser due to an incorrectly configured machine. With this Unix machine not being in
the Windows domain, we found that a whole section of our network was not reachable via NetBIOS name as the master
browser is normally responsible for updating the records in the Domain controller.

I no longer work for the company when I did the network traffic captures that caught this behaviour so am doing this
from memory, but I'm sure that analysis of a network traffic capture would indeed show this error up in a matter of
minutes. Just amazes me sometimes that people don't bother to capture network traffic as it normally contains the
correct answers.

Good luck and you were wrongly suspended imho

dave