Security Basics mailing list archives

Securing the Server Farm

From: "WALI" <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:32:40 +0400

We are in the middle of designing a Network Infratstruture and was wondering what's the current design improvements I can undertake in designing the Server farm. Given that there would a Core switch(two for redundancy) and IDFs for connectiing at the edges. How should I place my servers (about 50 of 'em).

Should I place them directly on the core and build some L3 access lists or put another set of L3-L7 switch after the core and connect all my servers to it?

Can I place an IPS/Firewall in the middle or would that be an overkill?

Pls advise!!