Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VM Host with guests on the Internal and DMZ networks

From: "Steven Jones" <Steven.Jones () vuw ac nz>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:37:41 +1200

We are doing just this and are Vlaning...to blades...

In terms of hardware, we used to not allow machines to reside in both
DMZ and internal thus crossing our internal firewall....but with vmware
we do.....

Our ESX hosts sit on a management LAN with no exposure to DMZ or
production network....so in effect the attack would have to crack the
management LAN, vmware host, set up a new network interface and setup a
new or crack an existing server that sits on both....

If someone is that far inside our network already they don't need to do
that...

regards

Steven Jones
Senior  Linux/Unix/San System Administrator
APG -Technology Integration Team
Victoria University of Wellington
Phone: +64 4 463 6272 Mobile: +64 27 563 6272