Security Basics mailing list archives

VPN problems

From: "Diarmaid McManus" <diarmaidmcmanus () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:39:20 +0100

Dear list,

   I'm working for a company that recently purchased a ZyWALL 5 for a
client. There are problems setting up a VPN, however, o the internal
network.

   We are attempting to set up the ZyWALL to test the VPNs
compatibility with the Windows VPN client inbuilt with XP Pro. We have
it set up as follows(apologies if there's a lack of clarity...):

--------
192.168.1.5 -> ZyWall WAN port(.1.1) -> ZyWall LAN port(.10.223) ->
network -> 192.168.10.222
--------

   192.168.10.222 is the client we are attempting to connect from, to
add .1.5 to the virtual network. I have tried various configuration
settings, both on .10.222 and the ZyWALL, but to no avail. I have read
and re-read the instructions for adding a VPN and it turns out the
same no matter what values I add.

   Can anyone, from the sparse information provided, tell me anything
I may be doing wrong? With regards to ports etc. Is the Windows VPN
client compatible with ZyWALL? Are there any other free clients
compatible?

   Much thanks in advance,
~Diarmaid McManus