Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FAX a virus

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:11:49 +1100

Let's put this is another and simpler format.

First let us consider the question, "If you write code and store it in text format, does it run?" The answer here is
simple, even if the file is in for format of a script rather than an executable, it will not run. Code needs to be
compiler or interpreted. Thus text received will not act as code.

Next, let us consider script. When saved as text into a document, the information is text and not code. It is ok and
feasible to keep the code of a virus as text and it will never run or cause other issue.

When however it is compiled or saved as code it will have a different effect.

So, if you receive the file, save it and than either compile it or format it such that it either forms script in some
application format and than (yourself) run this in the application - it could act as malware.

In this case, the result is similar to stating, "If I download code for a virus, compile it and run it will I be
infected?"

The answer is in either case not analogous to if I download the text will I be infected.

Again, the answer is no. You will not be impacted. There is no known manner. No theory that has a possible attack
vector and nothing but FUD to state that this is possible.

Regards,

Craig