Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Bankers on FFIEC

From: "John Katricak" <jkatricak () linuxmail org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:02:09 -0500

Without re-reading the message, I would think that the persistent cookie or email passcode would meet the condition of
being "multifactor."  At the very least, a thief would now have to do one of the following:

1. Learn the online banking user ID and password, AND learn the email account user ID and password.  Due to some
obfuscated rules requiring so many letters and numbers in the online banking credentials, I doubt these will ever be
the same.

2. Learn the online banking user ID and password, AND break into the person's house to use their computer.

Of course, #2 is thrown out the window if someone logs in at work and doesn't lock their screen while they're away.
Both are moot if the customer uses a public terminal (library, computer lab, airport) and isn't careful about the
cookies from online banking or their webmail.

In another strike against the security questions, wouldn't people be more likely to write down their questions and
answers on the same sheet of paper where they wrote down their user ID and password?  That completely throws the
two-step security out the window.  The passcodes are valid for only 60 minutes, so even if one was written down with
the user ID and password, the odds are against it still being valid by the time someone steals and reads it.

John Katricak