Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: local admin/ domain admin

From: "Scott Ramsdell" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnet com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:09:12 -0500

Sohail,

You will want to use "delegation", one of the options is something along
the lines of "perform common helpdesk tasks".

By default, all users can add 10 machines to the domain.  You can change
that in the Default Domain Controller Policy, note that is different
than the Default Domain Policy.

In my Windows environments, I created a group "CanAddMachines" and
dropped the Helpdesk group in there (W00t! nested groups in 2003).  Then
I removed "Everyone" and added "CanAddMachines" in the Default Domain
Controller Policy (right-click the DC OU).

What you can delegate is granular, so I never had a need for the built
in options.  I created groups CanChangePasswords, and CanCreateUsers,
and delegated rights accordingly.  This allowed me to control who on the
Helpdesk could do what.  Noobs weren't given the right to change
passwords, for instance.

So, check out "delegation" in AD.

You'll also want to drop the admin accounts, service accounts, etc. into
an OU above where you delegate rights to the Helpdesk so they can't
change those passwords.  I also dropped CanChangePasswords,
CanCreateUsers and CanAddMachines outside the reach of the Helpdesk.

Kind Regards,
Scott Ramsdell