Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: outgoing email monitoring

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 10:52:57 +0000

I've used websense in the past to create a key word search that would inspect out bound emails, blocking any that
matched a rule.  The user also had no implied expectation of personal privacy, and what defined personal provacy was
outlined in the acceptable user aggreement.. With all of that said

There might be a problem were email is a form of "electronic communication," and whether email is exempt under the
"communications in transient storage" from the Wiretap Act. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986
updated title 18 of the United States Code (the Wiretap Act).

If email is considered an electronic communication, then it is considered protected under the ECPA. However, there are
arguements that email was not "electronic communication" when it was copied because it was "in storage" at the time.

The court concluded that "electronic communication" includes "transient electronic storage that is intrinsic to the
communication process for such communications" and that "interception of an email message in such storage is an offense
under the Wiretap Act."

When I used websense to filter emails, I had the company lawyer check out the process, added a new adenuim to the
acceptable user aggreement, and send the adenuim to all user. .

Take Care and Have Fun --John

From: Zhihao <zhihao () root sg>
Ironport is what you can look at. It offers very strong reporting features
and it can also give you the ability to enforce difference policies on
different group of users based on the AD or LDAP.