Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Query: Filtered Ports I do not use. Should i be worried?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 20:20:42 +0200

On 2007-05-10 Petter Bruland wrote:
Filtered just means that your firewall / router is responding to the
port scan saying that there's no such service here.

No.

The better way (In my opinion) is to block these ports so that the
person scanning does not get a reply at all.

"filtered" means exactly that: the connection attempt is dropped without
a reply. Otherwise the port would be reported as either "open" or
"closed".

Might keep someone from trying different ways to get through, as they
know something is there.

No.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."