Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to safely obtain windows hashes remotely

From: "Scott Ramsdell" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnet com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:19:07 -0400

Jose,

What about backups of the domain controllers or other servers?  Are they secured?  It would be fairly straight forward
to drop a copy of the SAMs, or AD, or HKLM\secured\cache somewhere and crack the passwords offline.  What about
dropping a copy of the email server somewhere?

We need more info about your environment to offer quality assistance.  Are your passwords stored using reversible
encryption?  If so, john will crack them very fast.  Make sure you have the patch for john to accommodate mscache.
Even if they aren't stored using reversible encryption, john should crack some fairly fast.  You didn't mention
cachedump, any admin could grab all the other admins passwords stored in the local cache from a server and crack them
offline.

What about using a linux boot disk to grab the SAM or change the local admin password?  Several are available, and they
would leave no trace on the file system.  Granted, the server would appear offline during this time.

If you're in a switched environment (assumed), did you span the port you were running Ettercap on?  Did you allow Cain
to run on the segment you have SQL servers on (assuming)?  You'll grab those passwords, as they're passed in the clear.

Passwords though, are a small part of security.  Are workstations locking?  What about servers?  How do the users feel
about the need for security?  Are you using a stand alone print server?  What does it log show you about what the execs
are printing?  Etc, etc.

Kind Regards,

Scott Ramsdell
CISSP, CCNA, MCSE