Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A question on security postgraduate programs

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 22 May 2007 18:04:15 -0000

I think a good approach, since you will already have a degree, is to look for a job that you want, but be choosey. Try
to land that pen-test/vuln research job. If you get one, awesome, stick to it! If not, pursue the postgrad degree as
you see fit.

Side by side, I think employers really dig experience more than a degree. Yes, this is very arguable and everyone has a
different take. This is just my minor advice and it is difficult to word it without inciting vociferous opinion from
those on the other side of the fence. :)

It might still be totally worthwhile to go postgrad degree if you truly land in research. I've found unless you're
behind some closed doors, in tight with the community, or in academia, the chances for true research are a bit slim
without schooling. In the business world, you're usually stuck attending to business needs as opposed to some real
research.

<- snip ->
I'm a 3rd year computer science student and and I've a strong interest
in security. Primarily, vulnerability research/reverse engineering. At
the moment I'm trying to decide what to do after I finish University.I
would like to do some sort of Masters/Postgraduate study but there's
a massive amount of 'security' courses out there at the moment and its
hard to tell what is decent/respected and what is a waste of time.
Iwould like to do something technical as opposed to something aimed at
management as most of the courses seem to be.

I would like to work in vulnerability research or pen testing when I'm
finished so I'm wondering if I'm better off attempting to find work
straight away after I finish or getting some other qualifications
first? Also if someone could recommend some decent masters/postgrad
courses that would be cool. Location doesnt really bother me, I'm
currently living in europe but travelling to the US wouldnt really put
me out.