Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: 2 factor authentication

From: MaddHatter <maddhatt+securitybasics () cat pdx edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 01:49:34 -0700

Can someone provide any information/links on how to implement 2 factor
authentication with ssh? Do I need any extra software? Is there any open
source tool that can help?

Thank you in advance.

You mean like requiring both a password and a key before a user is logged
in? This is possible on most SSH servers, but naturally configuration is
specific to whatever ssh server you're running. (Unfortunately, I think
OpenSSH is not one of the servers that supports requiring both a key and
a password without PAM or source modification. Someone please correct me
if I'm mistaken.)

There's lots of other two-factor approaches (RSA devices seem popular,
though expensive), but a password + a key is cheap and effective.