Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Monitoring DB Admin

From: "Ackley, Alex" <aackley () epmgpc com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:13:10 -0400

I'm not sure you'll be able to do preventive controls on a DB Admin as a
role.  But you can do it on a person by rotating duties and basing
permissions on role not person.

There are a few good apps out there to monitor database activities.  So
combine a good monitoring tool with role based permissions and you may
be able to appease them.

If you have more then one DB Admin; ask yourself if they all need the
same access?  Can they be segregated by database or databases?

What the auditors want to see are tools in place to limit the damage any
single person can cause.  It's the same reason you don't want to give
your developers admin access to your network.  They may never do
anything bad; but giving them more access then is required is asking for
trouble.

Alex Ackley, CISSP, GSEC
Security Administrator