Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bee Strategy Helps Servers Run More Sweetly

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 26 Nov 2007 19:58:34 -0000

Interesting research, and an interesting comparison. Unfortunately, I think this suffers from the same thing that
separates us from other animals of the world: trust (or the ability to lie and/or overcome instincts). Without getting
too deep into that philosophical discussion, the bee structure works because they all do their thing without fail. Can
we trust all the servers to not lie or be wrong or purposely be misguided? Doubtful.

Still, fun research!

<- snip ->
Availability is a key component of Security.....

Honeybees somehow manage to efficiently collect a lot of nectar with
limited resources and no central command ? after all, the queen bee is
too busy laying eggs to oversee something as mundane as where the best
nectar can be found on any given morning. According to new research
from the Georgia Institute of Technology, the swarm intelligence of
these amazingly organized bees can also be used to improve the
efficiency of Internet servers faced with similar challenges.

Read More @
http://www.gatech.edu/news-room/release.php?id=1605&source=1

saqib
http://www.quantumcrypto.de/dante/