Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless IP leads to arrest.. (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:04:19 -0700

With wireless, unless the ISP itself is a wireless carrier
(and I don't know the details of how, say, ClearWire works)
there is usually an AP and a  modem. The mac address of the
clients of the AP are not passed to the ISP thus knowing the
identity of the person, authorized or not, using the wireless
AP is not a certainty.

  This is not correct.  Most APs -- as opposed to wireless routers!
-- function as *switches*, propagating client MAC addresses out to
the (wired, usually) backbone.
  Even when the "AP" *is* a router, it's usually possible and even
easy for the entity which manages it to query it and obtain the
MAC addresses of associated clients.

David Gillett