Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NAT external/Public IP

From: "Dan Lynch" <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:16:55 -0700

Strictly speaking for address translation only, and not ACLs or firewall
rules, I believe that PAT does make a host more secure, not because it
obscures a host's native IP address, but because it is a one-way
function. PAT is dynamically created. As the client host initiates a new
connection, a new port is opened at the translating device. That port is
closed when the connection is torn down. Just as a server cannot exploit
a client's dynamically opened ephemeral port for a new connection, new
connections cannot be made through a PAT back to a client host.

A one-to-one NAT on the other hand _can_ (not must) allow connections to
be established in both directions.

I think it's this distinction that led to the PCI requirement under
discussion.

- Dan

P.S. - That said, a firewall performing address translation services
(PAT or NAT) for a population of clients should regardless have a rule
blocking inbound access just for good measure.

P.P.S. - Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe inbound
connections into your LAN from your primary MTA to your internal mail
server is how most internet email gets delivered to internal users.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Auburn, CA