Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Napster vs. ITunes.. Which is less insecure?

From: zenmasterbob123 () gmail com
Date: 9 Oct 2007 17:21:22 -0000

The original bottom-line question was "Is it good policy to allow WMP and iTunes and disallow Napster and say,
BearShare, or would it be best to just restrict them all entirely?"

At the risk of sounding old-school, draconian, or dare I say Stalin-esque, I would allow the media player that came
with the OS, and only allow it to work locally.  No sharing, no downloading, no streaming media, no transfer of data of
any kind.

As for pulling music for presentations and office morale, we used to do that sort of thing with these shiny platters,
called "Compact Disks".  If management doesn't have a problem with the staff rocking out then I don't either.  But on
this list, we are the Security Managers, not the Entertainment Directors.  It is our job to protect a very valuable
corporate, government, or public asset.  We are here to keep the network secure in spite of the users.  And all we ask,
musically speaking, is that you think far enough ahead to bring your tunes in on a disk, and do a virus scan on it
before you bring it in.