Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanner/appliance

From: "Derek Nash" <ddnash () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:33:28 -0500

Dave,

Let's not kid ourselves or add to the existing FUD in the market
place. There are no PCI certified vulnerability scanners. The truth is
that although certain vulnerability scanner vendors offer ASV services
you and I both know that there is a difference between the
methodologies they used to pass their PCI ASV examination and simply
running their given solution against test environment and spitting out
a report. The second method simply won't cut it.

This was evident during an exam I was involve in. The protors of the
exam don't necesarily do a very good job of scrubbing the environment
between exams. We happen to stumble across some logs in the test
environment from passed exams and it was quite evident that certain
scan vendors who were getting certified were performing a manual
assessments and did not simply run their tool against test environment
and spit out a report.

With that being said I have no doubt that the ASV services sold by
these vendors are simple scans from their tools which of course is a
violation of their agreement with the PCI Security Council as it is a
departure from the methodology they used during certification, but who
is going to take the time and go to the trouble of trying to prove
that. This probably one of the biggest problems facing the ASV program
today.

Now if you as a provider of ASV services simply point Qualys at your
clients' infrastructure and spit out a custom templated report to them
well then best of luck to you. I just hope you follow the same
process/methodology during your next PCI Security Standards Council
ASV Annual Maintenance Test. I know you guys have the skill sets to do
this right and hope you are choosing to do so.

Best regards,

Derek Nash