Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internet usage and monitoring

From: Steve Olive <steve () bathurstcomputers com au>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:45:55 +1000

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:08:01 pm Jon Petre wrote:
Hello List,

I am looking for an idea/program to monitor users internet usage. Due to
the nature of the customer who requires the monitoring carried out, this
program must be able to run on a windows box and needs to be very
reasonably priced (I have no control over budget unfortunately). I am aware
of programs such as ISA server (too expensive) and squid (*nix based). Any
other sugesstions would be great.Customers network is round a bout 20
workstations that need to be monitored, so pretty small in reality.

Looking forward to all your help.

TIA

Jono

Actually you can get Squid for Windows -
http://www.squid-cache.org/Download/binaries.dyn.

I still think Squid with squidGuard (http://www.squidguard.org/index.html)
with Shalla's Blacklists (http://squidguard.shalla.de/shallalist.html)
running on any Linux server would be the best choice. Download Ubuntu server
and install on any old PC, or a very cheap new box, and make this the proxy
server. You can then access this box using a web browser if you add Webmin
(http://www.webmin.com/) and SARG - Squid Anaysis Report Generator (part of
*nix distros) is available though the Webmin interface.

The whole package would not cost more than $200 if you bought the PC,
otherwise it is all free!

--
Regards,

Steve
Bathurst Computer Solutions
e-mail: steve () bathurstcomputers com au
Mobile: 0407 224 251
.... _
... (0)>
... / / \