Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Securely allowing the helpdesk to change file permissions / data store structures

From: "Eggleston, Mark" <meggleston () HEALTHPART COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:13:28 -0400

We encountered this same issue a few years back.  You can delegate
rights to helpdesk to administer global groups to help with NTFS
permissions (and also monitor security event logs for who made changes
in global groups - event ID #641 I believe).

We structured our user data across four "drives" as follows, which each
have the same structure modeled after our org chart:

M:\ My department (These files are only accessible by each department;
no one outside of each department can see the files stored here).

O:\ Open (These files can only be posted by the department; everyone
else at the company can only read.)

S:\ Shared/Secure (A secure area for each department & another
department to share files, it is not visible by others unless the user
previously requested specific permissions for others. This is the only
area you we modify permissions!)

R:\Reports (A read only area where produced data reports are housed for
customer access. This location is for temporary storage of data and is
routinely purged.)

Hope this helps,

Mark