Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Setting up mail server(s) ?

From: James Bertelson <jbertelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:36:14 -0700

I would say if security is your biggest concern, qmail is likely the best choice as an MTA.  However, it does have
significant drawbacks in terms of
features(lack thereof) and ease-of-configuration(again, lack thereof.)  The author has had a bounty out for 11 years,
first 500, now $1000, for the
first person to find a security hole in qmail.  11 years later, it's still up for grabs.

That said, I personally run postfix.  Why?  I've administered high-traffic qmail servers before, and never want to do
it again.  The way it plays with
inodes leads to corrupt filesystems, and it has difficulty catching up once it's backed up and mail starts queueing.

-James